Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Only just beginning

I've had the most excellent feeling lately that I'm only just beginning my story. I'm nowhere near the end of it. Even if I feel that there's no way I can move forward at times, that's just not true. I can move forward because there is somewhere to go, even if I don't know the exact definition.

For some, the end of college is a finality. It's over. The fun is gone, and now it's time to emerge into the sunlight of reality (or maybe they're train headlights). It's hard to see how leaving a community and moving to something totally new is a good thing.

Yet, even though I will not graduate for another ten months, I still do not feel like this is the end. Of course, I will leave W&L and Lexington and go one to somewhere else, but it feels fluid, as if the journey remains continuous. I am not starting and stopping, rather, I am just continuing what I began long ago.

It's a refreshing feeling.

No comments: