Saturday, August 18, 2007

Cogent = well-reasoned

My recent existence has been consumed with studying for the GRE. Besides cogent, I have discovered the following:
  • capricious = changing one's mind often
  • ameliorate, alleviate, attenuate, and assuage all mean the same thing...in short, to lessen or make more bearable
  • diffident is the opposite of confident (really hope that comes up in the antonyms)
  • JK Rowling was completely wrong about the word enervate...it actually means to take energy away from something, not to give it back...thank you, Ms. Rowling, for hurting the chances of millions of college students trying to get into graduate school
  • however, Ms. Joanne Kathleen was correct about impervious...it means impossible to penetrate ;) and imperturbable is not capable of being disturbed
  • malinger is a word that means to evade responsibility by pretending to be ill...I didn't realize that there was a word for this...
  • castigate = to punish or criticize harshly...kind of sounds like castrate
  • dirge, eulogy, and elegy are all sorrowful, mournful speeches
  • inchoate = not fully formed, disorganized = in chaos ;)
  • insipid = lacking interest or flavor = it has no flavor, so it cannot be sipped

These are all valuable discoveries, I feel. At the very least, they will help me get into graduate school. Of this I am certain. I'm not sure if I will have to take other tests; I might have to take the Praxis II??? Not quite clear on that at the moment.

Other than GRE studying, I have been working on organisation to prepare to return to Lexington (yay!), which so far has consisted of sorting all of the books I own and storing them in boxes. I also have plans to sort through mountains of paper. But not yet.

I went to Lexington on Monday and Tuesday, after singing at Kairos on Sunday (which was great!). Had the privilege of experiencing one of Michael's tours, and I also got to see Jenny, Paul-Devin, Kelly, and various other people who happened to be around town. Then Rachel came up yesterday to watch High School Musical 2 here with the fam!!! SO good!!! Caelah and I think that the best part is Troy's solo, just because it's so cliched and awful...but really...HSM2 was pretty good. Good enough for me to have listened to the soundtrack all day today.

Jesse went back to Tech today, and Caelah is getting ready to go to Georgetown next Saturday. A little less than two weeks, and then it's back to normalcy...or at least, as normal as it gets...

I can't wait!!

No comments: