Saturday, April 5, 2008

BREAKING: Judge sides with ADV churches

Yes indeed!  It is true!  Judge Bellows has ruled that the Virginia Division Statute is applicable to the case of the eleven churches that voted to break away from TEC in 2006, one of which, of course, is my family's church, The Falls Church.

Response from the Diocese of Virginia: Statement on Property Ruling

What this means is that the judge has determined there is a definitive split in the church.  The next step is another hearing on May 28 to determine constitutionality of the Virginia Division Statute, and then a ruling on the property.  I wrote about this issue some months ago on this blog.  Links to those commentaries:


If you have been following my blog at all, my opinion on this issue should be clear.  This made my day when I read about it yesterday -- praise God for His favor and for granting us mercy in the eyes of Judge Bellows.  My prayer is for His will, not that we will or will not get to keep the property.  Of course, I hope we get to keep the property.  I really want to get married there someday, but the physical building is of no consequence when it comes to the true worship of God.  And still, my ultimate prayer is for reconciliation, not just between The Episcopal Church and those of us who feel estranged because of their reevaluation of scripture, but for all in the body of Christ.

I want to learn more about being Anglican.  I connect so strongly with the mix of traditional and contemporary elements that are present in the Anglican Communion, and I have enjoyed all of the Anglican churches I have attended.  Hopefully I can engage in reading more books about it in the coming months!  Maybe there is an Anglican podcast I can check out.

On another note, I took two finals today, wrote a paper last night, and I have another paper to write before Monday.  The end is in sight.  :)  And then I'll be cruisin' in the Caribbean!

No comments: