Friday, March 28, 2008

Musings, podcasts, and spring!

There is someone playing guitar outside of my window.  I love it!  He or she is pretty good, too.  It's pleasant background music to go along with writing my last mini ethics paper assignment.  This week we're supposed to analyze our "personal ethical dilemma" from the first assignment and say if our views have changed at all from before.  Mine really haven't.  :)

The flowers are coming out all over campus, and they're beautiful.  I'm going to miss Lexington, but I hear Williamsburg is just as lovely!  I can't believe I'm moving there in pretty much exactly two months.  Absolute craziness.  Ashley and I are working on the flat situation so hopefully that gets finalized soon.  It should be fine.  I also found out today that the masters' project is being cancelled for C&I majors, so that's rather exciting.  I get to save about $800 off tuition!

Okay, so the real reason I'm writing a blog is because I discovered the wonderful art that is podcasting today.  I had listened to a few podcasts before but I hadn't ever really been absorbed by them.  My dad introduced them to me about a year ago.  He's fascinated with them, loves listening to sermons and other theological stuff, which is cool.  I had signed up for a couple of them, ones from our home church and also a Harry Potter one, but hadn't ever really listened to any of them.

Today I decided to listen to a couple while I was stuffing envelopes at Hill House and I really enjoyed them.  I listened to a couple from The Falls Church and a couple from the PotterCast and they were really interesting.  I learned about:
  1. James 1 and hypocrisy: we need to be doers of the Word and not just listeners; the Word shows us who we are and if we hear it and understand but then turn away from it, we're like someone who sees themselves in the mirror and then forgets what they look like
  2. James 2 and judging: placing judgment on others based on how they appear renders our faith ineffective and hurts our witness for the Gospel
  3. PotterCast 131: Interview with J.K. Rowling: mostly stuff about horcruxes and wands
  4. PotterCast 132: Interview with J.K. Rowling part 2: Neville!
  5. PotterCast 138: SnoggCast: well, I'm still in the middle of it, but they're talking about Chapter 7 of Deathly Hallows and it's really interesting!
So podcasts are awesome.  :)

No comments: