Saturday, April 5, 2008

Maybe Not Today

I wrote my first post-Deathly Hallows fanfic about a month ago, entitled "Maybe Not Today."  I wanted to wait to blog about it until it had gone through the run-down on the right column of the PhoenixSong front page, but that took quite a while!  Apparently story submissions have slowed down for the site in recent months, but it looks like they will pick up again soon.

"Maybe Not Today" started out as a fluffy short story about the trio and company (including poor Fred) playing in the snow on the first snowy day of the year.  Needless to say, I started writing the story several years ago before Deathly Hallows was released.  I can honestly say that waiting to finish it has made the story what it is today.  I could never have written such a poignant narrative of loss had I not experienced personal losses in the past few years, and I could never have written this story without last April.  My heart still breaks when I remember, and that lingering hurt is what drove this story to completion.

Here is the summary: "Those we love never really leave us, but it takes a while to be able to cope with their absence."

Please do read, and I hope that it brings you comfort if you're going through a loss.

No comments: