Saturday, February 23, 2008

Bibles and basketball

I visited my sister at Georgetown this weekend.  My mom and I went with her to see her roommate's show ("Black Comedy" by the same guy who wrote "Equus"), which was excellent.  It was pretty much hilarious.  After that I went back to Caelah's flat and watched "Pride and Prejudice" (the Keira Knightley version) with her roommates and her.  We went to the Georgetown vs. Cincinnati game today, which was equally excellent.  Mom and Dad have season tickets, so I took Mom's because she decided to stay home.  I had a lot of fun with Dad, and it was cool having good seats in the Verizon Center.  Georgetown won the game by about 20 points, so it was really worthwhile.  :)

I also got to see Langley beat McLean in the District finals today.  That was pretty cool, especially because I know a lot of it has to do with the great coaches.  ;)  So, I watched a lot of live basketball today!

We also went to Saturday night service at TFC.  John spoke tonight on James 3:1-18 and Matthew 12:33-37 on "Taming the Tongue."  He noted that what we say is a mirror of what is in our heart, and our words can bring both life and destruction.  We have to remember that our words have power, especially because we will be held accountable for them.  It's a message I've heard before, but really need to keep hearing on a regular basis.  It's hard for everyone!  James acknowledges this in his book, and the whole point is, controlling our tongue isn't something we can do in our own power.  We need the Holy Spirit and the power of God, through salvation and belief in the lordship of Jesus Christ.  We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Phil 4:13) :).

It's back to Lexington tomorrow.  It will be great to see everyone again, but I have to admit, this break was great and exactly what I needed.  These next few weeks will bring changes, but it'll be okay.  It was good to relax and wait and ponder.

No comments: