Saturday, November 8, 2008

Should the media disclose political bias?

I am working on my third lesson plan for my Social Studies Methods class. This particular lesson plan is based on the SAC (structured academic controversy) model and, as the government class will begin discussion on the media next week, I have decided to create a debate-lesson about whether or not reporters should disclose political bias, either by revealing their bias in their writing or by participating in the political process.

The model breaks students into groups of 4, with 2 students arguing a particular side at any given time, and has both sets of students take either the FOR or AGAINST side for the argument at some point during the debate. The point is to force students to consider the multiplicity of ideas that come from debates so that they can make an informed decision for themselves about the question. Students read a selection during the class and have a few minutes to prepare an argument with the reading, which they present to the other two students in their group, who ask clarifying questions and then take a few minutes to present the other side of the debate. Then, students switch sides, and do the whole thing over again. After all students have had the opportunity to argue both sides, students participate in some kind of culminating activity. I'm going to ask my kids to express their own opinion and choose a side to give them the opportunity to freely debate the topic for the rest of the class period (they've done this sort of thing before).

The readings I chose:
FOR #1: http://www.ojr.org/ojr/stories/080208vote/
FOR #2: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1128354/posts
AGAINST #1: http://articles.latimes.com/2008/feb/05/local/me-parsons5
AGAINST #2: http://www.npr.org/ombudsman/2008/02/should_journalists_vote.html?sc=emaf

My take? I subscribe to a little bit on both sides. I don't think journalists should disenfranchise themselves. The honest truth is that everyone has some sort of bias and it's ridiculous to think that we are able to report on anything without being affected by our unique perception of the world around us and by our own history. However, at the same time, I still do not believe that journalists should be involved in political campaigning, or that a journalist involved with Greenpeace (an example from AGAINST #1) should be able to report on their organization.

Journalists should do everything that they can to limit their bias, but they should acknowledge that that bias exists and at times it may be appropriate to acknowledge what that bias is. I know that most American journalists would very much disagree with me on that point, including my journalism professors, and this is a large reason of why I decided not to be a journalist. Talking to people outside the profession has convinced me that a primary reason people do not trust the media is because the media does not reveal its bias. Friends and family have hinted, though not outright stated, that they might trust the media more if the media would reveal how it is biased.

Now, I don't think that every journalist should be out spouting all of their personal beliefs. That's just bad journalism. Part of journalism is learning how to build a boundary for yourself and limiting yourself from taking on a story that you know you are unable to report on objectively. Conversely, journalists shouldn't lie to themselves. No matter how much you try to limit bias, it will still show through.

Personal case in point: grading. I've been going through my first batch of student papers. I thought it would be easy, based on my perceptions from class. WOW! Not the case. After reviewing the papers once, I found that I needed to throw all preconceived notions out the window. They are all great papers, don't get me wrong, every student did very well. But I had completely pegged some kids wrong, and I think that that had a lot to do with what I've experienced in my own past and with my interactions with them over the past two months. I've become much more cautious in class since then, rethinking my perceptions of each student and why I perceive them that way. It has been very eye-opening, and I've been trying to grade their papers very carefully.

However, knowing my students the way that I do assures me that they will be able to handle this assignment, and that they will excel at it. I do not have the answer for them because I can see good points on either side, but I feel that that is how the classroom is supposed to be. It's not about me handing down an answer, but about me structuring the lesson so that they can construct their own learning and perspective on what they think about the question.

Hmm, subject-centered classroom, anyone? :) Go Parker Palmer.

1 comment:

? said...

Wow Abri, there seems to be a lot of interesting texts here. Ill be back as soon as I can find the time.