Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The day is finally here

Yes, I am going to echo the sentiments of many others: I'll be glad when this day is over. So much has happened during this election that makes me a bit ashamed to be an American. Honestly. Regardless of your political beliefs, there are things going on here that should never happen.

1. The blatant undermining of female candidates ... specifically, Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin, and really, you can take it back to Geraldine Ferraro, too. Why is it that whenever a strong woman comes forward for office, she is attacked several times more than the male candidates? I do not understand. Despite what I think about any of these women, I'm just glad that they're taking the initiative. How does being a woman make someone unfit for office? I doubt that any of these people would directly state that sentiment, however, their actions speak louder than their words. What they've done to these women shows what's really in their hearts.

2. A campaign that lasts two years ... the first time I heard about Barack Obama was about a year and a half ago. Again, that should just not happen. The presidential system was never designed for two year campaigns. When did the presidency become about who can spend the most money and beguile enough people? I'm not pointing fingers at either campaign, either. John McCain is just as guilty of these as Barack Obama. Historically, campaigns like this are a very recent blip on the radar. Fifty years ago, the campaign started after the nomination. Can you imagine what a two month campaign would be like? I think it would be heaven.

3. Total underpining of the issues ... despite what anyone would say about Obama and McCain, they're only talking about half of the issues they are covering because of minor candidates who add accountability to the system. If this were just the Obama and McCain show, I can guarantee that we'd have a much shorter list of issues on our plates. The problem that I have run into with this campaign is that I have such little trust in the president to do what he says he's going to do anymore. Actually, it's not just the president, it's really any political figure. Because of the nature of the campaign beast, candidates will say anything to get elected. Will they actually follow through? Who knows. I'd like to believe that they will, but I'm trying not to be that naive.


Regardless of all that negativity, there is one thing about this election that has been incredibly heartening: the response of the American people. Never before has there been such an incredible movement to get Americans to vote. The Student Assembly at W&M conducted such a vibrant campaign effort to get students to register in Williamsburg that we actually have to help out at the polls so that they don't become overwhelmed by extra people. Facebook is asking everyone who signs in whether or not they have voted today, and tracking it here. Organizations like The Leaky Cauldron and HP Alliance have taken advantage of the fact that they have a wide fan base and planned events like Wrock the Vote to encourage their fans to register, if they have not already.

That is just fantastic. As a government teacher (and former student) I know all of the excuses for why people choose not to vote:
  • the weather is bad
  • they feel that their vote will not make a difference
  • apathy with the system
  • do not align with either candidate
  • too busy
  • they forget about election day
  • they cannot get to the polls in time
  • among others
To those, I give this:
  • so what? Yes, it's raining outside ... a little rain never hurt anyone
  • clearly, your vote DOES make a difference
  • I'm apathetic with the system too ... and I voted
  • I also don't align with either candidate ... this is about your duty as a citizen
  • I have a job, a teaching internship, I'm taking 13 credits, I attend church multiple times a week, I have mentoring appointments, I serve on the Student Assembly ... still think you're busy?
  • Anyone who forgets that today is Election Day is clearly hiding under a rock
  • The polls are open today from 6 am - 8 pm. You have time.
Truly, I will be glad when this day is over. But it's here right now. So, take advantage of it. And if you're looking for a little humor, here are some articles my dad sent to me:

No comments: