Friday, June 27, 2008

PGD-I2: It's a small, small world

Sorry to keep you waiting, here is my second installment of Post-Graduate Discoveries.  I will hereby mark these posts thus: PGD-I# (Post-Graduate Discoveries - Installment #).  My first discovery, entitled "Just say hello" can be read two posts down.  Now, on to the new discovery.

I have come to realize that no matter where I move, even if I know absolutely nobody there, I will find people connected to other people that I know.  This is partially because I tend to gravitate toward Christian circles, and really, gravitating toward community like that makes the world even smaller.  But at the same time, I still manage to meet people who know other people that I know.

Take Marty, for example; W&M's InterVarsity staff member.  We were introduced by a mutual friend, and IV itself is a tight organization, but he knows two of the pastors at my family's church in Northern Virginia.  He also knows one of my sister's sorority sisters from IV Greek Conference, and he's introduced me to four or five people now who I'm becoming friends with.  Granted, he's a really connected guy, but he's an example of what I'm describing.  Several of the people he wanted to introduce me to ended up being in my education classes, which was great, though a little awkward to say, "Hi, I'm Abri, Marty told me I should meet you."  :)  At least it's a conversation starter.

Another example of this is just finding commonalities with people.  My mother says that I could talk to a brick wall and it would talk back.  Now, I doubt that that is the case, but I do tend to find things in common with pretty much everyone I meet -- very useful tool for rush.  Part of that is just because I've lived all over the country and have family all over the country, and, really, all over the world.  But, again, it just makes you realize that the world is small.

One cool thing about having moved so much is that I get to know all kinds of people and experience lots of different perspectives.  I know that no matter where I go, I will get linked in with people both like me and completely unlike me, and that I will be able to find community.  Part of that is being a Christian, but it's also about being human.  We all have more in common than we would care to admit sometimes.

It's a small world after all.

No comments: